Automotive Manufacturers Private Limited (AMPL) was incorporated in the year 1948, under the dynamic leadership of Shri. Manubhai Sanghvi and Shri. P.P Sanghvi.
The company started as main dealers of Leyland Motors, UK for marketing their products in the erstwhile states of Bombay, Hyderabad and Saurashtra. The company assembled about 2000 Leyland vehicles at its Kurla Works between 1949 and 1955.
In addition to marketing, the company was also engaged in CKD assembly of Leyland vehicles till 1955, when Leyland Motors, U.K. entered into financial and technical collaboration with Ashok Leyland.
In the year 1958 dealership for Mahindra& Mahindra Limited was taken. The company thereafter took up marketing of products manufactured by Ashok Leyland in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat, Mahindra in Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat.
In 1986 dealership for Maruti Suzuki Ltd., was taken for Maharashtra at Navi Mumbai and subsequently extended to Nagpur, Aurangabad and Nasik.
Kobelco, a giant in the construction equipment sector has been added. In 2007, dealership for Audi was taken for the state of Andhra Pradesh.